Monday, May 30, 2016

The truth

So here is a not so new question

How as a returned missionary am I supposed to live in the world but not of the world.

Well guys it isn't easy. This last week I have had some fun experiences that made me want to crawl back into my mission bubble.

1. I started back to work

2. I went to my first house party.

Yeah yeah I know it has been a month since I have been home. Yep it's been a month. (yes I said that twice so that I can actually start excepting it.....don't judge). So naturally after a month I should be back to normal right? I should be able to do these two things and conquer them right?

So let me tell you that they weren't that bad, but they changed something in me. While I was studying for my New Testament class (yes I talk about it a lot, but it really hits me when I need it) we were reading in Romans chapter 2. Well in this chapter Paul is talking to the Romans about obedience to the commandments. Many times we think we are the MOST obedient, but it turns out that we are the MOST hypocritical.

WHAT?
Did I really just say that?

Well let me explain.......


I started back to work at a huge fancy department store this last week. Now something in how it has changed me has been more in the way of being hypocritical. I know it is a commandment to love God more than riches. I mean look at the young man that Jesus taught all of his doctrine, this kid was awesome. Then Jesus asks him to give up his riches and follow him. Then the kid freaks out and is like wait I didn't sign up for THISSSSS, and gives up. Well it happens to the best of us actually. We may not be rich........really though I am SOOO far from being rich, but I still would kill for that nice Chanel wallet right? Well then I look at a celebrity on my Facebook feed and judge her for the way she lives and how focused she is on worldly things. Or even my co worker who has like 7 Chanel bags. You may agree that this could also be considered jealousy, hypocrisy, etc.

well it still breaks a commandment, and I am still walking around with everyone knowing that I went and served God for a year and a half.

Well this brings me to my next point.

HUMILITY. 

It is something we ALL lack. Yes you. You lack it too.

Why you may ask?

Wellllllll the only perfect one on this Earth was Christ. Sooooooo ....

Okay please forgive my third grader answer hahaha here is the real one.

As I was listening to a talk given by Elder Steven R. Snow from the April General Conference I learned something about humility,

"We must all strive to become more humble. Humility is essential to gain the blessings of the gospel. Humility enables us to have broken hearts when we sin or make mistakes and makes it possible for us to repent. Humility enables us to be better parents, sons and daughters, husbands and wives, neighbors and friends."

How might we become more humble?

well there is an awesome scripture which God provided to show us, "And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; … for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them (Ether 12:27)".

So let us all pray to see our weaknesses and have them made strong unto us. I testify that it will happen this way. I know that God wants us to be more like his son, Jesus Christ, and we will provide the mediums to do so.

C

Also If you guys have more questions on humility I invite you to read the talk by elder snow
https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2016/04/be-thou-humble?lang=eng

No comments:

Post a Comment